Sunday, August 28, 2011

Adventures in Cooking: Sunday Morning French Toast

I love anything that you can make ahead and forget about it.

The easier, the better sometimes.

So last night I decided to make a baked French toast dish that sits overnight and  you just pop into the oven in the morning. Super simple.

Start with a loaf of really good multigrain bread, like this Oatmeal Bread from Brookshire's bakery.

Slice it into hearty hunks of doughy goodness.


Mix eggs (I had six left, so that's what I used) with 8 ounces of heavy cream. I added vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.








On the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan, spread a liberal amount of brown sugar. About 3/4 a cup. Drizzle maple syrup over the brown sugar.




Lay slices of bread in a baking pan. Pour egg/cream/spice mixture over the bread.


 Refrigerate overnight so that all that yummy bread soaks up all that yummy filling.

When you get up the next morning, most of it should be absorbed.



Pop it in the oven at 350.

I forgot to time how long it took, but it'll get all puffy and golden brown. Scrumptious.



And THEN, scoop it out and invert it onto a plate. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, per my boys' instructions.

Yum.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds decadent and delicious, Amy! :)I'm going to try it soon, for sure.

    ReplyDelete