Friday, July 1, 2011

A Big Plate of Delicious Goodness

Last night I made pizza. I forget where the recipe came from or I'd certainly give credit where credit was due (that's my good journalism training at work!). It was fresh and delicious, not at all heavy and sleep-inducing. I'll keep making this all summer, especially since Jacksonville tomatoes are at their peak and we have the rest of the ingredients right at our fingertips at my Happy Place, Brookshire's FRESH. If you've never used fresh pulled mozzarella, you're in for a treat! It's saltier than the more commercially produced varieties, but once you've had it, you'll never be able to go back to any cheese in shrink-wrapped plastic.

Tomato Pesto Pizza

1 prepared pizza crust (I used Rustic Crust, organic whole grain)
2 T pesto (I could have made my own but didn't! ;-)
8 ounces fresh pulled mozzarella cheese, sliced thinly
3 large Jacksonville tomatoes, sliced thinly
Fresh basil leaves

Preheat oven to 450. Spray crust with non-stick cooking spray or lightly brush with olive oil. Bake for 10 minutes directly on oven rack. Remove from oven, spread the 2 T pesto over the crust allowing a 1/2 inch border on the edges. Layer the mozzeralla over the pesto and top with tomato slices.

Bake until cheese is bubbly.

Top with fresh basil leaves and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment