Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Beach

I really think that Heaven is a beach.



Because where else is there complete happiness and serenity? For me, at least.

Last weekend my BFF, Silvia, and I went down to Crystal Beach, across the bay from Galveston, for the day.

WITH NO CHILDREN.

May I repeat:

WITH NO CHILDREN.

Don't get me wrong: I love my kids more than life itself and we have a blast at the beach together.

But when Silvia looked over at me and said, "I don't think I've been to the beach without kids since...." and her voice faded...because she couldn't remember, I started to try to remember the last time I'd been to the beach alone (ie, without kids). I couldn't remember either. So with 15 years or more since her last solo beach experience and at least 15 since mine, we set out to enjoy the day to its fullest.

We spread out the towels, set up the chairs,


and the umbrella (which blew away moments later) and sat.



Just sat.

And talked.

And sat enjoying the waves, the cerulean blue sky, the beautiful dives of the pelicans as they fished and, of course, each other.

We talked and talked.

Then we floated. Lazed along, carried by the currents, in total relaxation. My float kept losing air. I wonder what it was trying to tell me??

We people-watched. The beach is one of the BEST places for people watching.


This guy kept us entertained for quite some time. After crusing the beach probably a dozen times with his Mexican and Playboy Bunny flags flying, bass thumping, he got stuck in the sand. Oops. It took three big men to finally get him out.


We ate ICE COLD watermelon that Silvia had sliced and packed in a cooler full of ice.


I enjoyed the way the sand gets all ripply right where the waves wash in.


(Darn, this is NOT a good picture of the beautiful patterns in the sand!)

I also love the shells. I've always wanted to find a shark's tooth. I never have.


I also love watching Crystal Beach being rebuilt after Hurricane Ike decimated the coastal town in 2009.

The first time I visited after the storm, the beachfront was a barren wasteland. Now there are houses and businesses springing back up!


I loved it all that day, but the VERY best part was spending time with one of the BEST friends a girl could ask for.


No comments:

Post a Comment