Friday, March 9, 2012

Ms. inDEPENDENT

I've spent the past seven months trying to be completely independent.

If you'd asked me before, I'd have told you that I was a pretty independent person.

I've traveled alone, driven cross-country alone, flown to Europe (and around) alone. I've lived alone, bought a car alone and did lots of other things that some people haven't. All by myself.

And recently, I've refinanced my house, bought my first lawn mower, my first garbage disposal (that was a banner day, let me just tell you) and acquired two big, sweet, sloppy dogs. I take care of the little things, like remembering to haul the trash can to the street on Tuesdays and Fridays and picking up carpool for Technology Club early on Thursday mornings. I also handle the big things, like paying the mortgage and getting the sprinkler repaired. All by myself.

Or so I thought.

I've been so focused on being independent I sometimes lose sight of the fact that I should be totally DEPENDENT. 

On God, that is.


2 Peter 1:3 assures us that as we grow in our knowledge of God, through His divine power, He gives us everything we need for life and godliness.

There's nothing to worry about.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

(I have that one running on loop through my mind).

This one too:

I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you. Matthew 17:20


And take comfort in this:

Jesus replied, "What is impossible with men is possible with God." Luke 18:2

This is on my kitchen wall:

I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13 

When I'm feeling weak, this one gives me assurance:

My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. 2 Corinthians 12:9


Growing up, my mom would often say, "Give it up to God."

I'm finally learning what she meant.





1 comment:

  1. Amen. And you've done a great job all around. I love that you're finally happy.

    ReplyDelete