Monday, May 23, 2011

Cajun Chicken BLT's with Grilled Squash

I made the BEST dinner tonight.

Well, maybe not the BEST, but it was delicious.

And I don't usually toot my own horn.

I've always wanted to post a food blog item, but I never felt right about posting a recipe without stellar food photography. Because when I see a recipe, I want to see a MOUTH WATERING, BETTER THAN..."CHOCOLATE"..photo to accompany it. And when our cookbook is published, you'll see that. But that aside. I do not have stellar food photography. My resident photog is playing volleyball tonight and my "good" camera is in my desk drawer. My iPhone is NOT an acceptable substitute for decent food photography.

So I will fall back on my words. LOL. That wa a joke. In some cases, a picture is worth a thousand words. And that is 99.9 percent true in food.

Watch out, Bon Appetit. I'm coming for you. ;-)

Cajun Chicken  BLT's with Grilled Squash
Serves 4

Chicken:

Four pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat, pounded 1/4 inch thick
1T Leigh Oliver's Grill House Seasoning

Sandwich:

4 Nature's Own Sugar-Free Whole Wheat Buns
2 avocado's, sliced thin
2 hothouse tomatoes, sliced thin
1 cup romaine lettuce
8 slices turkey bacon, cooked crisp
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
2 T crumbled blue cheese
1 jalapeno, finely chopped (devoid of pith and seeds)
4 slices Provolone cheese
1 T butter
salt and pepper to taste

Squash

3 large yellow squash, cleaned
Sea Salt
Black Pepper
Cayenne Pepper
Citron Olive Oil (or extra virgin)

Cook bacon in microwave 5 minutes or until crisp. Set aside.

Sprinkle both sides of boneless, skinless chicken breasts with Leigh Oliver's Grill Seasoning.  Set aside.

Slice squash in 1/8" slices. Toss with citron or extra virgin olive oil. Sprinle with sea salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste. Place in a vegetable grill pan.

Heat grill to medium. Pl.ace veggies over direct heat. Grill, tossing frequently, 5 minutes.

Place chicken onto grill.

In the meantime, mix sour cream, jalapeno and blue cheese with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

Grill chicken until crisp on both sides and juices run clean.

Rub whole wheat buns with butter on both sides. Place butter-side-down on the grill.

Grill buns until marks appear and golden. Flip over. Place slices of Provolone onto buns and cooked chicken on top. Close grill over for 2 minutes or until cheese is melty. Remove from grill. Remove squash from grill when blackened marks appear.

Serve sandwiches with slices of bacon, tomato, avocado and lettuce, slathered with blue cheese/jalapeno dressing. 

Serve squash on side.

:-)

2 comments: