Monday, July 30, 2012

My New Favorite Cookbook

My new favorite cookbook came in the mail last week. 



I'd almost forgotten about it; I'd pre-ordered it on Amazon.com so long ago. So I was super excited when I got an email from Amazon saying the book was on its way, about three weeks earlier then I expected it.

I've admitted before that cookbooks are one of my favorite kinds of reading material. This one is extra special because it was written by my sweet friend, Leigh, who came up with the idea of an entire line of foods based on whole ingredients that don't contain artificial ingredients or preservatives. Brilliant, huh? So when she decided to write a cookbook, I knew it was going to be great.

Leigh's premise is to get the family to sit down at the dinner table together. Brilliant, huh? Her book,
"Food, Family Style,"  reflects her love of her boys and her captures the culinary tradition that has been a part of her life since she was 5 years old. The first chapter, "Kids in the Kitchen," is full of great tips and easy recipes you can make WITH your children.

Each chapter opens with a warm anecdote from Leigh's own life. The book is peppered with mealtime prayers of thanksgiving, great to stop, given appreciation for and bless your food with before you eat. The book contains recipes from MOPS members all over the country because who better than to contribute than other, Godly mamas? (As an alumna of the Cathedral in the Pines MOPS, I especially appreciated these additions to the book. Besides, we all know that Tuesday MOPS meetings were the best eating of the week).

Other chapters include Breakfast (Blueberry Biscuits with Lemon Glaze, anyone?); Sandwiches, Burgers and Pizza (Must try the Cheesesteak Pizza); Table Talk (a list of conversation starters during meal time); Soups and Salads (I'm trying the Honey Berry Salad this week); Main Dishes (Roasted Chicken Lasagne...oh yes!); Side Dishes and, of course, Desserts (hello, Frozen Peanut Butter Pie). There's a helpful menu index and plenty of slow-cooker recipes (can't wait to try jambalaya in the slow cooker).

The book is clearly arranged, with clean lines and a gorgeous cover.

But best of all are Leigh's own words, "I have come to understand that time around the dinner table with people I love is sacred, and the table is our prelude to much better things to come."

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment