Monday, October 10, 2011

Take Your Kids to Work Day

Today was Take Your Kids to Work Day, aka, Columbus Day, aka, Teacher Work Day, aka, SCHOOL HOLIDAY.

Not having any back up babysitting plan in place, I brought Curt and Luke to work with me, certain I'd be fired by 9 a.m.




I was well armed. And they were SO WELL BEHAVED. I'd give them a 25 on a scale of 1 to 10 (my co-workers may not agree, but I can't hear them...lalalalalalalala) But for an 8 and a 9-year-old to behave in a small office from before 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. was rather phenomenal, in my opinion.

Here's all it took to make the day run smoothly.


Markers from my desk. Paper that may or may NOT have been from the copy machine.


My laptop from home. And access to  YouTube videos of 9/11.

  
Snacks! And plenty of them. Keep in mind the fruit pictured here was to offset the Chicken  Minis they had for breakfast.

  


The portable DVD player. WITH HEADPHONES.

  


My Nook. Sadly used less for reading today than for Angry Birds. 

And my  iPhone. With the Spin Art app (best $.99 spent in recent history).


And then there was the appointed lunch time with promises of walking the two blocks to Subway for lunch. Good times.




After lunch it was back to work. At this point, bribes incentives became necessary. 

So following a brilliantly successful day (four stories written, thank you very much), we had a treat, aka, a visit to the BIG BLACK BUILDING.


Otherwise known as, the Bank of America Building in downtown Tyler.


Where we entered through the revolving door (HOURS of fun if I'd allowed it.)



And took the elevator up to the 18th floor (there are 19, but the 19th floor is private!) to admire the view.




And we ended the day with a visit to Bergfeld Park.



Did I mention "good times?"

3 comments: