Thursday, September 29, 2011

Extreme Makeover: My Little House Edition

Last weekend, I was in the mood to shake things up around the house. Instead of spring cleaning, I gave two very important rooms in my house a Fall Makeover of the extreme kind. (Ok, not really too extreme but it feels extreme to me).

First,  I tackled the space formerly known as the formal dining room. It used to have heavy, dark mahogany furniture: a dining room table, a buffet and a china cabinet. Let's be honest. We ate in there approximately 3.2 times in the almost three years I've lived in this  house. The walls were a dark cranberry color and the curtains a rich gold.

But I decided I need a cozy room. My friend, Jennifer, gave me the idea. Then another friend, Connie, found the two most delicious pillowy chairs, well supplied with sleep dust. The icing on the cake was when a nearby boutique posted on Facebook that they were getting rid of their chandeliers to make way for new light fixtures. I'd been looking everywhere for a small, sparkly bit of bling for the room and everything I'd seen was cost prohibitive.

So the cozy room was born. I wish I had a true "before" picture but this one will have to suffice. The walls became a soothing Eddie Bauer color called "Meadow." Sheers brightened up the space and the cozy chenille comforter is perfect to curl up into when the sleep dust starts to take effect. My wall art isn't complete yet...but I'll post another picture when it is.

Before:



And after:





The next day, after church, I changed the color of the kitchen. Although a lovely shade of sage green before, I coveted a bright, sunny yellow. This one is called "Butter." Perfect!!!!

Before:




And after:



My "extreme makeover" makes me quite happy. 


:-)

2 comments: