Friday, September 16, 2011

Adventures in Cooking: Crock Pot Red Beans and Rice

I keep trying to duplicate my mom's red beans and rice.

I've failed every time. I even have her RECIPE and I can't make it work. 

So in lieu of Mom's version, I try almost every other red beans and rice recipe out there. I love this one because it uses the crock pot, and it's a Cooking Light recipe.

Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice

Ingredients

  • 3 cups water (I added 15 ounces chicken stock)
  • 1 cup dried red kidney beans
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 3/4 cup chopped celery
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 (14-ounce) package turkey, pork, and beef smoked sausage, thinly sliced (such as Healthy Choice)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups hot cooked long-grain rice
  • Hot sauce, to taste (this wasn't in the original recipe, but I had to add it!) 




Preparation
  • Combine first 12 ingredients in an electric slow cooker. Cover with lid; cook on high heat for 5 hours. Discard bay leaf; stir in salt. Serve over rice; sprinkle servings evenly with green onions.


No comments:

Post a Comment