Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Adventures in Cooking: Omelet

I usually eat my breakfast in the car on the way to work.

A toasted English muffin with fat-free cheese; a frozen (chock full o' preservatives) breakfast quesadilla, something along those lines.

But then I saw this blog post from Self magazine blogger Sarah-Jane Bedwell.

Spinach.

Goat cheese. 

Eggs.

She was speaking my language!

I dreamed about this omelet. HAD TO HAVE THIS OMELET.

Finally MADE this omelet.

And now...now I'm in love. A few mornings a week I'll make this tasty treat.

Today I added mushrooms left over from a dish I made this weekend.

It was heavenly.

Spinach, Goat Cheese and Mushroom Omelet

(ingredients easy to mix and match!)





1 whole egg

1/4 cup egg whites

sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

1/2 cup fresh spinach leaves, preferably organic

1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, also organic

1 ounce goat cheese

Whisk eggs, egg whites, salt and pepper and a splash of milk, together in a bowl.

I wilted the spinach in this bowl before I whisked the egg...saves something to wash.

Spray nonstick skillet with cooking spray.

Saute mushrooms until they begin to sweat and shrink.



Add spinach (mine appears already wilted because I forgot to take pictures of that step!). Cook until wilted.



Remove veggies from pan.

Pour eggs into pan. Over medium heat, cook eggs, sliding edges of eggs back from sides of the pan to allow more of the uncooked eggs direct contact with the pan.



When eggs are almost set, crumble the goat cheese.


Add goat cheese and vegetables to one side of omelet.



Fold omelet in half.

Continue to cook for another minute. Flip omelet. Cook another minute or until cheese is soft and melty.

Slide onto plate and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment