Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Revelations

Yesterday was NOT a good day for Curt. 

It started poorly when his morning routine was disrupted. He usually hears my alarm clock go off and immediately comes and jumps into my spot on the bed while I shower and get ready for the day. Sometimes he's fallen back asleep by the time I'm done, but usually he's up and at 'em, asking me 90 million questions as I'm trying to leave. 

But yesterday, he was SOUND asleep in his own bed when I left. He didn't even stir when I kissed him goodbye. So I left him breathing deeply in dream land.

It didn't go over so well.

In fact, Curt simulated the morning routine by closing my bathroom door and jumping into bed anyway.

Then he went to camp all day. Which he's still adjusting to. 

When I got there to pick him up, I walked into the big gym where the kids congregate and suddenly remembered I needed to pay the weekly tuition. So I went back to the car to get my wallet to the plaintive scream of "MOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYY." 

It didn't go over so well.

After snacks at home, we went to the pool. Where Curt was put in time-out so many times he lost computer privileges for three days and his privilege of watching "Ghost Adventures" on Friday and Saturday night. Kid just didn't know when to quit the backtalk. *sigh

He cried the whole way back from the pool. When we walked inside, he was lamenting his "autism brain" and insisting that he was mean and stupid and I like Luke better than I like him.

I said, "Curt, there is nothing wrong with your autism brain. Autism brain means sometimes it gets overloaded."

You could SEE the light come on. 

Curt was INSTANTLY calm. 

"Oh, it gets overloaded!" he acknowledged. "Yes, it gets overloaded a lot."


"So from now on, Curt," I said. "When I see you start to get overloaded I'll say the code word, 'overload,' and that will mean to stop, take a breather and think about what's happening."

A little later in the evening, the neighbor kids showed up to play the very-favorite-summer-game of Night Hide and Go Seek. 

"No thanks," Curt said. "I've been overloaded today so I think I'd better rest."

Curt chillin' out



No comments:

Post a Comment