Saturday, June 11, 2011

C DAY

Today is apparently C Day.

Cancer Day.

In a few minutes, we'll leave for Chick in the Park, a fundraiser for local hero Lindsey Pond. Lindsey, who isn't even 30 years old yet, has had breast cancer twice. Then I believe (and I need to check my facts), it moved into her lymph nodes. Most recently, she had a brain tumor removed. So today, in honor of Lindsey and in order to raise funds for the young family, a group of her friends came together for Chick in the Park. The Magills will perform. Chick Fil A is bringing food. And proceeds go to Lindsey, who taught second grade at Bonner Elementary School here in Tyler.



Then later tonight, I'll be attending the American Cancer Society's Cattle Baron's Gala. Gettin' my kicks on Route 66. Proceeds from Cattle Baron's benefit the LOCAL chapter of ACS. The money raised stays HERE in East Texas. For gas cards, wigs, and any other supplemental services needed by cancer patients.

C Day.

My brother-in-law,  Anthony, finished his chemo this week. At 31 years old, this is Anthony's second bout with cancer. His first was last year. And at his one year CT scan to see if he was cancer-free, they found more. Becky, my youngest sister, and Anthony, her husband, have weathered this like they have all things: like champions. I'm more proud of them than words can express. My sister is a ROCK. I can't even fathom what they and their two children, Ben, 3, and Claire, 1 1/2, have been through in the past two years. But they have overcome. Anthony has his next CT scan on their anniversary next week. Prayers would be appreciated. 

So today is C Day, in honor of all those who have struggled with cancer.




No comments:

Post a Comment