Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Words

I love words. Could be why I write and edit for a living, do you think?


Recently, I was talking with a friend about our favorite words.


I've started a list:

Perspicacious- having keen mental  perception and understanding; discerning: to exhibit perspicacious judgment. You have to love the way this word rolls off your tongue. 

 

Apoplectic- of or pertaining to apoplexy, a sudden, usually marked loss of bodily function due to rupture or occlusion of a blood vessel. I try to work this one into office conversation as often as possible. "If you don't meet deadline I'm going to be apoplectic!"

 

Lilliputian- A very small person or being. Another word I love partly for it's sound, partly because it creates a vivid image in my mind of something so small and petite. See also: Gulliver's Travels.

 

Pernicious - highly injurious or destructive; deadly. Such a harsh definition for such a lovely word.

 

Willowy - Resembling a willow tree, especially: a. Flexible; pliant. b: Tall, slender, graceful. Who wouldn't want to be willowy?

 

One more for today.

 

Titian - A bright reddish or golden auburn color. Nancy Drew had titian hair and I wanted it desperately.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment