Friday, February 25, 2011

In the Name of Science

Luke came home from school yesterday and asked me for a bowl of water.

"A BIG bowl," he stressed.

"What do you need a bowl of water for?" I asked.

Was he thirsty and getting his inner dog on? Was he going to water the plants? Wash his hands? Give himself a sponge bath?

"I need to explore it," he said.

Well in that case, let's get to exploring.

I filled my largest glass mixing bowl with water and put it on the kitchen table for him. He got a cup, some ice cubes, a Batman action figure, a Tinker Toy, a rock and a plastic bird. For 30 minutes he "explored" the water with his toys.

Then the doorbell rang. It was the KID FROM NEXT DOOR. (cue theme music from Jaws). He wanted to play with Luke. In his bowl of water.

I made the grave error of leaving the boys unsupervised and going into the back bedroom to fold laundry.

When I came out, this is what the bowl looked like:


*Someone* had added dirt, leaves and sticks from outside. I'm not naming names because I don't know WHO made the mess, but not only was it in the bowl, it was all over my kitchen table, kitchen floor and in a wet, muddy trail from the back door into the kitchen.

*sigh

All in the name of science.

No comments:

Post a Comment