Tuesday, May 22, 2012

{Kids in the Kitchen} Corn Doggies

Luke LOVES corn dogs.

But I'm not such a fan of frozen/processed/deep-fried foods.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a firm believer in "everything in moderation." I mean, there are moms out there who preach steel-cut oats and serve Pop Tarts.

I just try to get it in balance. I can't serve organic, free-range food every night, but I *can* try to improve upon some favorites.

Tonight we tried self-named "Corn-Doggies." By "self-named," I mean, "Luke-named."

They were a HUGE hit, even if they were mostly boxed and mostly processed.  At least I had a *smidge* more control...

Luke's Corn Doggies

Makes 12 muffins, can easily freeze and reheat.

2 boxes Jiffy-brand cornbread mix
2 eggs
2/3 cup of skim milk

12 Jenny-O Turkey Hot Dogs


Preheat oven to 400.

Prepare 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners or non-stick cooking spray (I highly recommend paper liners).

Mix together Jiffy cornbread mix, two eggs and 2/3 cup of skim milk.

Beat with a wire whisk until well blended.




 Pour into paper liners into muffin tin.

Even if it's out of focus.


Slice hot dogs into thirds.  Make sure 8-year-old does not agree to having his picture taken executing this step...



Press two hot dog pieces into each cornbread muffin. Again, 8-year-old does not agree to have his picture taken. Use oldest pan you have, because it will look like a Rock Star in said pictures. Not.



Smooth cornbread mix over hot dog pieces.

Bake at 400 for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown and pufffed.

Remove from oven.

Let cool.

Serve with ketchup and a side dish.




No comments:

Post a Comment