Wednesday, November 28, 2012

An Open Letter to Rice Elementary School

Nov. 28, 2012

Dear Faculty and Staff of Rice Elementary,

Please stop reminding me that my child, my son, my firstborn, is about to go to middle school.



I am well aware of this.

I was aware when we visited Moore Middle School for preview night that the sixth grade is hurtling at me at a rate I'm not prepared for.

I was aware when Curt told me, months ago, that he gets to go to Camp Tyler, for TWO OVERNIGHTS, on the fifth grade trip this spring.

I was aware when I checked the calendar for the Moore MST magnet program application dates.

And I was aware this morning when you oh-so-kindly reminded me that today's 5th grade program was the LAST TIME they'd perform until GRADUATION.

For the record, I have bad allergies; those were not tears I was trying to wipe away.

Thank you, very much, Rice Elementary, for the constant reminder that my BABY is growing up.

Thank you for preparing him to leave elementary school and for giving him the confidence he needed to navigate the buildings at Moore Middle School (without me). Thank you for helping him mature enough so that he doesn't need to hold my hand when he walks into school in the morning. And thank you very DARN MUCH for helping him get to where he needs almost NO accommodations, functions at a high level academically and behaviorally, and enjoys going to Tech  Club with other kids.

Just please stop reminding me that fifth grade is almost half over.

Sincerely,

Ms. Fingers In My Ears I Can't Hear You LALALALALALALA

2 comments:

  1. pathetically, this made me tear. If you can get through this, I can too - in a few years...ok, I might have cried about 1st grade once...twice...nevermind. I love this post! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather. It does go by so quickly.

    ReplyDelete