Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Every Once In Awhile...

...I have a moment when I realize I'm not parenting all that badly.

Today, I really needed that reminder.

We were at the pool. And at the pool, Curt can be...well, let's just say...a beast. He generally spends the time crying, sulking, harassing Luke or fussing at me.

Today was no different.

Then, when a friend pointed out to me that Curt having a bad self image might be a direct reflection on my example to him, I FELT EVEN WORSE.

Then, Luke was going off the sliding board, with his "best friend" Michael. Luke spotted what he thought was a dollar bill at the bottom of the deep end, the 14 feet. He asked "Mr. Michael" to go down and get it for him. Michael did, but didn't come up with a dollar bill.

He emerged from the depths of the deep end with a $100 dollar bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



They immediately brought it up to the pool owner, who was manning the snack bar at the time. She looked a little taken aback that a little boy (and a big boy) were turning in $100.

She asked Luke if he'd like a piece of free candy for his honesty.

His first response was "Can I have a piece for my brother, too."

My heart melted.

Molten.

Aside from the fact that he demonstrated wholehearted honesty, he thought about his brother, too.

Even though I'd been feeling like a big, huge, fat (or was that "buoyant"???) parenting fail up until then, I felt pure joy at that moment at the knowledge I've been doing *something* right.

No comments:

Post a Comment